Thursday, November 11, 2010

Opinions and assholes.

Lately, on some of the blogs I follow--and I read a lot of doll blogs online--I've noticed there has been yet even more issues about having opinions online.

The single post that caught my eye was this one. Keeping in mind that I tend to read blogs, not message boards, since message boards are usually full of shit like this, I am not at all familiar with the incident. You might be, and if you are, good for you.

But I don't plan to comment on the incident. I am planning to comment on dolls and having opinions about them, and writing a blog, and then commenting on message boards.
  • If you have a doll blog, where you post reviews on dolls, you need to establish both your credibility and tone. How you decide to do this is 100% up to you, since it's your own damn blog and your own damn opinions.
  • The fact is, controversial blogs have way more readers than non-controversial blogs. They just do.
  • As a blogger, you want as much traffic as possible. If you offend readers, honestly, they don't have to read your blog.
  • Once you decide on your tone, you have to stick to it. You can't really change that tone and style when you post to message boards. Why would you want to? You want more blog readers, and you want to maintain your credibility, right?
  • And damnit, if they don't like your tone, they don't have to read your blog.
  • Just like if you don't like a doll, don't fucking buy it.
There are many more opinions on the web than they are assholes. Though it's easier to act like an asshole online than it is in person. But a blogger isn't being an asshole if she says she doesn't like a particular doll or if she doesn't share your taste.

Why do people take this so damn personally? Just don't read the damn blog if it offends you. If a comment offends you, or appears to rain on your parade, just ignore it.

I, for one, appreciate honesty. Even in doll reviews. In fact, especially in doll reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I do approve all relevant comments, except for flames and items not deemed appropriate for this website content. Ads, spam etc. will be deleted.